Finnair serves Edinburgh through Edinburgh Airport (EDI), so when you are thinking of leaving Scotland’s beautiful capital, behind book your flights from Edinburgh with Finnair. Enjoy a world of movies, music, and more with our Nordic Sky Entertainment platform which offers you hours of fun at your fingertips.
Edinburgh Airport is conveniently located just 9 km to the west of Edinburgh’s city centre, with both the Airlink 100 and Skylink 200 trains connecting the city and the airport. Alternatively, you can access the airport via the tram services with an interchange at Edinburgh Gateway Station.
Departing from Edinburgh with Finnair
- We offer up to three flights a day from Edinburgh, allowing you to fly at a time that suits you.
- Enjoy access to the Aspire Lounge and unwind before your flight.
- Online and mobile check-in are both available for your convenience, or you can enjoy priority check-in at the airport itself.
Oulu is the largest city in northern Finland. A technology-focused city, it is famous for its citywide free public Wi-Fi and for being home to the offices of several national IT companies. It’s not only business travellers and IT professionals who visit Oulu, though; the city has plenty to keep everyone busy for a few days or longer. Find out more with this useful Finnair travel guide to Oulu and have a great time discovering northern Finland.
Sights in Oulu
Oulu’s must-see sights include the Rotuaari pedestrian boulevard, with its cosy cafes, street entertainment and tempting restaurants; and Tietomaa science centre, which was the world’s first dedicated centre of its kind. In addition, be sure to check out some of the lush green parks, which you can find dotted about the city, as well as a hiking path or two. One of the main city parks is now located where Oulu Castle once stood; the castle was, however, destroyed in the 18th century when a flash of lightning ignited gunpowder stored in the castle. The beach at Tuira is a nice place to relax on warm, sunny days. Art lovers should pay a visit to the fascinating Oulu City Art Museum, which is home to various modern works of art. Old buildings surround the dockyard and recreational activities include public swimming pools, cinemas, bowling and a theatre. Great for children and adults alike, Pelibunkkeri has table football, snooker tables, laser tag, air hockey and a variety of arcade and video games. One of the city’s more unusual events is the International Air Guitar Festival, held each August.
Things to See and Do Near Oulu
- Koitelinkoski – The rapids along the river are ideal for adventure seekers, with excellent canoeing and white-water rafting opportunities.
- Iso-Syöte – This is a prime winter destination for downhill skiing.
- Hailuoto – Catch a ferry or ride the cable car to the biggest island in the Gulf of Bothnia and visit the lighthouse, church and dunes.
Shopping in Oulu
Oulu’s shopping offers a selection of products including, somewhat unsurprisingly, electronics and various mobile devices.
- Oulu Market Hall – In operation for more than a century, this market has a wide selection of foodstuffs. You can also find a diverse assortment of local souvenirs here.
- Luhta Outlet – Fans of discount fashions are sure to love the bargains here.
- Rotuaari – The pedestrian district has diverse shops and boutiques catering to varied tastes and budgets.
- Stockmann – Browse in the most northern branch of the famous Scandinavian department store and pick up goods like luxury clothing, toiletries and cosmetics, footwear, items for the home, household appliances and more.
Food and Drink
- Rössypottu – A basic meal that originates in Oulu, this is a type of thick and hearty stew. The main ingredients are potatoes, pork and blood pudding.
- Pettuleipä (Bark Bread) – This local bread is made using rye flour and pine bark for an unusual flavour and texture.
- Rönttönen – This traditional sweet open pie has a crust made from rye or barley dough. The filling consists of sweetened mashed potato with berries. Lingonberry is the most common berry used to make the pie.
- Leipäjuusto – More of a snack or a side accompaniment than a meal in itself, this is a type of bread cheese.
Transport in Oulu
With a large pedestrianised area, good cycle routes and extensive, reliable bus networks, moving around different parts of the city is generally very easy and timely. Day tickets are available for buses in Oulu, allowing you to take as many journeys as you like over a 24-hour period for one fixed price.
- By foot – The pedestrian street of Rotuaari can only be accessed by foot, and walking is the best way to see the surrounding streets too.
- By bicycle – Various cycle tracks run around the city, making it easy to get to most places by bicycle. Cycle lanes are generally very well respected and safe in Finland. There are several bike rental shops around the city.
- Buses – The price for bus tickets depends on the zones travelled through; vehicle transfers are allowed on the same ticket as long as you have paid the appropriate fare for the total journey. Additional fees apply at nighttime. Regular tickets are valid for one hour. Day passes are convenient for visitors.
- Sightseeing services – During the summer months, the hop-on hop-off Potnapekka is a good way for tourists to travel between the city’s major sights. A combination of bus and train, there are two routes: one via Nallikari and one via Hupisaaret. Both services start at the end of Rotuaari.
- Taxis – Taxis are plentiful in Oulu and they work under a set price schedule as indicated by the meter. Surcharges may be added for bulky luggage.
The Prices displayed are the lowest available in the previous 48 hours on Finnair.com and valid for travel dates as shown above.
Prices are subject to availability at the time of booking online with Finnair.com. Finnair reserves the right to change prices at any time.
Prices include return flights in Economy Class for one person as well as applicable taxes and fuel surcharges. The break down will be shown during your booking process.
Please check the individual fare rules for detailed terms and conditions during your booking process.
Advance purchase up to 60 days may apply and impact the available fares.