When you are ready to leave the vibrancy of Budapest behind, book your flights from Budapest with Finnair. Your flight will depart from Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport (BUD). If you are a frequent flyer, join our Finnair Plus program, which rewards you with points every time you fly with us. They can be used to upgrade your experience or book future flights.
Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport can be reached by the 100E bus from the city centre. The service runs every 30 minutes between 04:00 and 01:00 and takes around 35 minutes, costing 900 HUF. Alternatively, taxis are available to drive you the 16 km from the city to BUD.
Departing from Budapest with Finnair
- Your Finnair flight from Budapest will depart from Terminal 2B.
- Check-in opens 2 hours before departure, closing 45 minutes before the plane sets off.
- Self-service check-in kiosks are available.
- The SkyCourt Lounge is an excellent place to unwind before your flight.
The capital city of Finland’s Kainuu region, Kajaani offers plenty to see and do all year round for culture vultures and sports enthusiasts alike. A former industrial city, Kajaani now offers diverse attractions and activities to suit varied tastes. Find out more about the city with this Finnair travel guide to Kajaani.
Sights in Kajaani
Located on the banks of the Oulujoki River and close to Lake Oulujärvi, Kajaani is known for its excellent fishing opportunities. Lakes Ruuhijärvi and Linnavirta are just two of many places where you can cast your rods and nets and see what you can catch. Outdoor pursuits can be enjoyed throughout the year, with the area offering terrific hiking, canoeing, kayaking, golfing, quad biking and wildlife spotting opportunities. How about joining a bear spotting safari? One of the city’s most impressive sights is the remains of the 400-year-old Kajaani Castle. Built on a river island to protect the area from Russian invasions, it was also once used as a jail. Other interesting buildings around the city include the Town Hall, the old library, the Neo-Gothic Evangelical-Lutheran Church and the gatekeeper’s house. The Wall of Tears is a moving reminder of the past, constructed as a way of helping people during the Great Depression. The Kajaani Art Museum is another popular attraction. Located in the old police station building, it houses a wide variety of art from different themes and time periods, and is presented through varying mediums. For something a bit different to the norm, pay a visit to the old tar channel. Many of the local bars feature live music, especially at weekends, and the city also has several nightclubs if you want to stay up late and dance the night away. For a more cultured evening, book tickets to see a performance at the Kajaani Town Theatre. Poetry Week and Kajaani Dances are famous events that gather people together year after year.
Things to See and Do Near Kajaani
- Paltaniemi – This small village is famous for its beautiful wooden church with stunning interior artwork by Emanuel Granberg.
- Rehja Island – An island in Lake Nuasjärvi, this scenic setting is a great place for fishing.
- Vuokatti – Have summer fun in the great outdoors and explore the hills and forests around this village, enjoy exciting skiing in the winter and experience the village’s charming atmosphere all year round. You can also practice cross-country skiing at any time of the year, too - thanks to a snow tunnel.
Shopping in Kajaani
As the region’s largest city, Kajaani’s shopping is varied to serve locals and tourists alike.
- Kauppapaikka 18 – A small shopping centre in the heart of the city featuring several well-known international shops, like Benetton and H&M, as well as local brands.
- R-Collection Outlet – A discount fashion store with clothes for men, women and children; there’s no need to spend a fortune to be well-dressed and smart!
- Kainuun Pirtti – This is an ideal place for anybody who is looking to buy local handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Kajaani Market Street – If you’re in town for this annual event, you’re in for a shopping treat. The main street is closed to all vehicles for a week to allow a large number of vendors to set up street stalls brimming with diverse local products, clothes and food. The dates change every year so be sure to check in advance to avoid disappointment.
Food and Drink
- Bear steaks – The forests of Kainuu are home to bears; locals make tasty and filling meals from bear meat. Dishes are usually served with an assortment of local vegetables and potatoes.
- Deer stew – Another meat-based dish that uses creatures found in the locale, this stew contains various vegetables as well as deer meat.
- Mushroom soup – Wild forest mushrooms make a comforting soup, which is served with toasted rye bread.
Transport in Kajaani
The city centre is reasonably easy to discover on foot and many local attractions are within walking distance of the heart of the city. Regular bus services serve the city too; do note, however, that services are severely limited on Sundays.
- By foot – Pick up a free tourist map from the tourist information centre to help you find your way between the city’s significant places of interest.
- Buses – It is possible to use the long-distance bus services to move across the city, as well as local bus services. Buses are the only public transportation in Kajaani. There are frequent services from Monday through to Saturday.
- Taxis – Order a taxi by telephone or mobile app if you cannot easily spot one on the street.
The Prices displayed are the lowest available in the previous 48 hours on Finnair.com and valid for travel dates as shown above.
Prices are subject to availability at the time of booking online with Finnair.com. Finnair reserves the right to change prices at any time.
Prices include return flights in Economy Class for one person as well as applicable taxes and fuel surcharges. The break down will be shown during your booking process.
Please check the individual fare rules for detailed terms and conditions during your booking process.
Advance purchase up to 60 days may apply and impact the available fares.