Tampere to Billund
Tampere to Billund
Tampere to Billund
The birthplace of the world-famous LEGO, Billund is all about family holidays and fun experiences. Located in Jutland in the west of Denmark, the city has more than just LEGO to offer. Find out the best ways to enjoy the city with our Finnair travel guide to Billund.
Sights in Billund
LEGOLAND Billund is by far the city’s most famous attraction, with nine themed areas showcasing the small plastic bricks in a most spectacular manner. There are miniature replicas of iconic world sites made from Lego, exciting theme park rides, a 4D cinema, play areas, an aquarium, a climbing wall, a laser maze, water rides, a penguin colony and more. You can even take a pleasure flight over the theme park for a bird’s eye view of the installations and surrounding natural beauty. Cool down and make a splash at Lalandia Aquadome, the largest water park in Scandinavia. There are indoor and outdoor pools, slides, chutes, child-friendly play areas, jacuzzis, spa treatments, mini golf and bowling. Monky Tonky Land is a small play area where younger kids can let off steam, and the sculpture-lined nature trail at the Skulpturpark is often popular with young and old alike. Everyone can get close to farm and domestic animals at Karensminde Agricultural Museum. The historic church of Grindsted Kirke is worth a quick photo stop, and the whole family can learn more about events during World War II at Vandel.
Things to See and Do Near Billund
- Givskud – One of the closest neighbouring towns to Billund, this large zoo and safari park are captivating destinations for any animal lover.
- Vejle – A beautiful natural area where you can go hiking in the hilly forests and see the picturesque Vejle Fjord. The small town also has an array of restaurants to suit most tastes.
- Kongernes Jelling – Travel back to the times of the Vikings and see a fascinating monument from the 10th century. This UNESCO-listed site has large blocks with inscriptions detailing how King Harald Bluetooth captured Denmark and Norway, bringing the Christian faith to the people.
- Koldinghus – Located just outside of the city, this old royal castle dates back to the 1200s. There’s a museum inside the castle that contains period furnishings, old artwork and other interesting artefacts.
- Island of Fyn - Visit the birthplace of the famous fairy tale writer, and creator of the “Little Mermaid”, Hans Christian Andersen.
Shopping in Billund
Naturally, much of the shopping in Billund is focused around LEGO.
- Legoland – Stock up on building blocks and LEGO accessories while at the famous theme park.
- Lalandia – You can find a good selection of fashions here, combining famous brands and local names.
- Billund Outlet – A top place for budget clothing.
- Beth Baun – A charming artisanal and craft store that sells a lovely assortment of items for the home.
Food and Drink
- Mead – Billund Brewery makes mead, also referred to as honey wine, like the Vikings used to make.
- Vildmose potatoes – Grown in the north of Jutland, these tasty potatoes are boiled in salt water and served with lashings of cold butter, salt and chives.
- Seafood – Diverse seafood and fish are available on many menus, including lobster, herring, crab and mussels.
Transport in Billund
Well connected to nearby major cities and towns, public transportation is a good way to get around the central areas of Denmark if you do not have your own private or rented vehicle.
- By foot – Walking to attractions isn’t really feasible due to their spread-out nature.
- Shuttles – Billund City Shuttle operates a free shuttle service in the summer months, carrying passengers from Billund city to all major attractions in the area.
- Buses – Local buses in Billund connect the city with nearby destinations; buses can be used for many day trips around the region.
- Taxis – Taxis can be booked by telephone.
- Car rental – Many visitors to Billund opt to rent a car for greater flexibility when planning fun days out. Cars are also often a lot more convenient when you have children in tow. Several car rental companies have offices at Billund Airport.