Japan is a unique and beautiful Asian country spread across a series of large islands. You will encounter a fascinating mixture of the ultra-modern and the deeply traditional when you land off your flights to Japan.
Finnair flies from 4 airports in Japan, covering the major cities of Nagoya (NGO), Osaka (KIX), Tokyo (NRT/HND) and Fukuoka (FUK). Book your flights to Japan with us and experience the unique charms of this incredible nation.
DESTINATIONS IN JAPAN SERVED BY FINNAIR
- Tokyo is perhaps the world’s most modern city and has a population of a staggering 37 million. But owing to the efficient design, layout and transport you will discover that it never feels too crowded. As you’d imagine, it has outstanding shopping and restaurants, bars and nightlife to suit all tastes. A great way to take in the city is by strolling through the delightful Inokashira Park. If you’re a fan of Anime, check out the excellent Ghibli Museum nearby. Fly to Tokyo with Finnair for a memorable vacation.
- Osaka is Japan’s third-largest city and offers lots to see. Shitennōji Temple and Sumiyoshi Shrine are excellent examples of ancient Shinto places of worship, and there is a wealth of museums as well as Osaka Castle for you to explore. Book your Finnair flights to Osaka to experience one of Japan’s most exciting cities.
- Nagoya is a hub of Japanese industry and is home to Japan’s automobile trade. It has a proud heritage because it is the region where Japan’s famous Samurai warrior culture evolved, so there’s plenty of historic interest for visitors.
- Fukuoka is a bold and modern city, the largest city on the southern Japanese island of Kyushu. You will find it very welcoming to visitors with an easy to navigate subway and plenty to see, such as the Hakata Michiya Folk Museum and the Riverain Complex, which is a luxury boutique shopping mall.
- Sapporo is the capital of Hokkaido prefecture. It is known for its world-famous Snow Festival and delicious ramen, as well as its beautiful parks and hills.
Travel Japan to discover the country’s vast diversity and book your flights to Japan for the best deals.
TYPICAL FOOD AND DRINK IN JAPAN
Japan has a sophisticated and delicious cuisine that is based on seasonal and fresh (sometimes raw) ingredients served with rice as the staple. Since Japan is an island, seafood forms a large part of their diet but meat such as the famous Kobe beef is highly valued too. Make sure you try the ubiquitous Miso soup, which is a delicious soybean-based accompaniment to many Japanese meals.
FANTASTIC FESTIVALS IN JAPAN
Known locally as matsuri, Japan has many vibrant festivals throughout the year. Some are celebrated nationwide while others are unique to certain areas.
Kanda Matsuri is one of Tokyo’s largest festivals. Held every other May, the celebration has Shinto roots. Ornate shrines are paraded through the busy streets, accompanied by music, dancing, and priests that bless the crowds. In alternating years May sees the week-long Sanno Matsuri, which also features a parade of small shrines that house Shinto deities.
Kyoto’s Gion Matsuri occurs every July and is one of the biggest festivals in Japan. Diverse events take place all throughout the month, including street performances, traditional music, and street-food stalls, though the highlight is a large parade of floats on the 17th of the month.
The Fukagawa Matsuri is one of Tokyo’s three-biggest celebrations. Each August there are religious processions and people dressed in traditional costumes.
In September, Osaka hosts the lively Kishiwada Danjiri Matsuri where huge wooden floats are pulled along the roads.
The Snow Festival in Sapporo is a popular winter celebration, known for its striking snow and ice sculptures, concerts, competitions, ice bars, and snow activities.
Keep these events in mind as you book your flights to Japan so you can experience some of Japan’s amazing festivities and celebrations.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION ABOUT JAPAN
- Currency – Yen (¥)
- Time Zones – UTC+09:00
- Tipping – Tipping is not compulsory or expected but is greatly appreciated.
- Electricity – 100 volts or 50/60 Hz. (US plug)
- Country Code – +81
BEST TIME TO VISIT JAPAN
Japan is a year-round destination, with plenty to enjoy on your Japan trip in every season. Generally, spring and fall are considered the best times to visit Japan because of milder weather and little rainfall. The typhoon season is typically in the summer, between May and October, with August and September usually seeing the heaviest rains. The wetter months are, however, usually when you can find the best deals on accommodation.
Winters offer excellent opportunities for snow sports and bathing in hot springs, whereas summers are ideal for people who want to make the most of Japan’s beaches and hiking in the Japanese Alps. Summer is also when many festivals take place.
Whatever season you plan to visit the Land of the Rising Sun, get great deals on your flights to Japan when you book with Finnair.
Finnair was the first airline offering direct and non-stop flights to Japan between Europe and Japan. Finnair also offers the most direct route to Asia operating direct flights to Japan from several cities, including Helsinki, Gothenburg, Oslo, London, Manchester, Hamburg, and Dusseldorf. The Helsinki to Japan flight time is around nine and a half hours, depending on the destination city, while the London to Japan flight takes around 11 hours and 30 minutes.
Check out our Japan flight deals and book your flights today for cheap prices, a great baggage allowance, excellent services, and comfortable seats. Upgrade to Nordic Business Class for an increased baggage allowance, fine dining, priority check-in and boarding, and a personal entertainment system. The fully flat seats help you to relax on your Finnair flight.